Day 5 found us on the Tube to Greenwich, which was a nice 30-minute ride. We walked around the town of Greenwich a bit and grabbed a long lunch at a pub. QT had fish and chips, and LIKED IT, which is monumental enough to deserve its own sentence in this article. 🙂

After lunch we headed towards the Cutty Sark but got sidetracked when we came across the Greenwich Market. It was a true street market, haggling and all, and we both had a great time. QT got some new sunglasses, a necklace, and some earrings. Between the Market and a nautical shop across the street, I got a British military pin, some 20-sided die, a wooden box to hold decks of cards, a nautical Dollond sundial, and some brass signs that say “Port” and “Starboard” for the office at home. If it wasn’t for the purse that QT bought yesterday I think I’d be winning the Shopping Contest, which is rare for me. 🙂

When we made it to the Cutty Sark we found that all we could see was the Visitor’s Centre. I had read about the fire but I wasn’t sure if we’d be able to see the ship or not. I wish I had made time to upload my previous London photos before I went on the trip, but I’ll try to take care of that soon after I get back. There are some good shots of the ship, she was a beautiful clipper.

After the market we walked around the Royal Naval College and then headed up the hill to the Royal Naval Observatory. I was hoping to get a picture in front of the Prime Meridian in the same place I did 8 years ago, but that section was closed for repairs. Inside the observatory they had some incredibly old telescopes (or replicas, I’m not sure) that were upgraded with green laser pointers for accuracy; it was an interesting combination of old and new.

Side note for fellow Starbucks drinkers: Caramel Macchiato’s taste exactly the same in Greenwich, England. Frankly, I’m not sure if that’s good or bad news.

The walk through Greenwich and up the hill to the Observatory wiped us out, so we headed back to the hotel to rest. For supper we walked to a pub near the hotel and hung out for a few hours.

The photos from Day 5 have finished uploading, enjoy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *